Opposition Slams PM Fico Over Ukraine Power Threat
včera 19:40
Bratislava, 21 February (TASR) - The opposition criticises Saturday's statement by Prime Minister Robert Fico (Smer-SD) that he will ask Slovak companies to halt emergency electricity supplies to Ukraine if Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy does not restore oil flows through the Druzhba pipeline to Slovakia by Monday (23 February).
Ivan Korcok, a member of the Progressive Slovakia's presidium, described the move as cynicism without empathy. MP Roman Mikulec ('Slovakia'-For the People) said Fico was motivated solely by money.
"Incredible. Robert Fico is threatening Ukraine with cutting off emergency electricity supplies because it has not restored the transit of Russian oil disrupted after Russian attacks. He is threatening a country whose energy infrastructure Russia is systematically destroying, where people have been surviving for months without heat and light, in freezing conditions and on the brink of a humanitarian catastrophe. And all this just days before the fourth anniversary of this senseless war. This is not sovereign foreign policy - it is cynicism without empathy," Korcok said in a statement by Progressive Slovakia. He called on the prime minister not to misuse the governance of Slovakia to blackmail civilians freezing in the dark.
According to Mikulec, it is misguided to think that Ukrainians attacked the Druzhba pipeline themselves. "It is the Russians who are attacking Ukraine's energy infrastructure. Fico is interested in nothing but money. The Croats are able to supply oil to Slovakia via the Adria pipeline without problems, but not Russian oil," the opposition MP posted on social media. He claimed that Fico must do what the Kremlin orders him to do, "and he is harming the whole of Slovakia and Europe". He added that if Fico wanted to, Slovakia would have enough oil from the Adria pipeline.
The Freedom and Solidarity party also criticised the prime minister's remarks. "If Fico cuts off emergency electricity supplies to Ukraine in the current situation, he will be suspected of committing crimes against humanity," the opposition party wrote on social media.
Earlier in the day, Fico accused Zelenskyy of acting maliciously towards Slovakia because Bratislava does not "support the war". According to Ukraine, oil supplies to Slovakia and Hungary were halted as a result of a Russian attack on the Druzhba pipeline on 27 January.
On Wednesday (18 February), after a cabinet meeting, the prime minister accused President Zelenskyy of political blackmail and interfering in the election campaign in Hungary.
Slovakia's only refinery, Slovnaft, is currently securing alternative supplies. In the meantime, it is to produce oil products from state reserves released by the government. Some 250,000 tonnes of oil are available, with the refinery operating in a limited mode. An oil emergency has been declared in Slovakia.
mf